[APD] RE:LEC for lights etc

I think Steve is just doing some theory modeling, not asking folks to
switch from gal/watt etc.
Engineers love math and modeling. Ecologist are tending to do more of this
and it's fun. There are number of modeling programs available.

I will say that I have seen some nice simple programs that can show effects
on an ecosystem if you vary things like light, CO2, mixing rates,
herbivores, nutrient inputs etc for modeling Fjord ecosystems. A smilar one
could be done for planted tanks evenutally. They are fun even if not as
realistic as you might want.

>From all I've read on aquatic photosynthesis, around 200-400 uEinsteins or
moles of photons m^2 is enough to fully light saturate most all aquatic
plants.
Full noon sun in FL is about 2000 mol photons/m^2. Aquatic plants are
essentially low light plants.

I have an expensive research water proof meter that measures this unit.
I have only my own tanks, field measurements in lakes etc to measure, but
these can be compared with research fairly accurately.
I'll give some numbers soon when I get the meter out again next week.

Given the stability of our lighting, it should go quick. I'll measure at
several depths, distances from light sources etc.

As far as CO2, the saturation level for CO2 in aquatic photosynthesis is
about 30ppm of CO2, adding more than this will not increase growth rates
with most common submersed aquatic plants. So 20-30ppm was about right.

There's a lot still yet to be done with Light, CO2 and O2 has even less
work cited.

Regards,
Tom Barr