[APD] RE: Zeolite

> Have you checked into zeolite (or zeolyte) as a possible absorptive (or
adsorptive) material for the substrate? It was recommended
> to me by an hydroponics guru at the local hydroponics outlet when I was
describing my clay ball + ammonium nitrate experiment.

> I tried some Urea in clay balls recently but got low levels of ammonia in
the aquarium water after a couple of weeks. I think I will
> run a series of experiments in jars. You have to be really careful to
ensure that the clay ball interior with the fertilizer is well
> sealed from the exterior.
> Steve

Well I knew NH4 was going to be an issue, jobes sticks don't work well
there either.
Zeolite and activated carbon, lignite all should have some absorption and
potential sinks for NH4/NO3 and other organics.

We don't know a lot about those organics that these maybe removing.

Large water changes switch the tank from a more organic nutrient mix to a
more on the inorganic side.
These substrates may aid in that and supply a long term depot for some of
these nutrients, organics as they break down and are re-released into the
roots zones.
There's a fair amount about the organic components we simply don't test for
or measure.
But large water changes always seem to favor the plants and adding the
imorganic nutrients back also seems to help.
Algae are better adapted to deal with organic components in the water
column as nutrient sources and their needs are much less than aquatic
macrophytes also.

Regards,
Tom Barr