[APD] Bad Test Kit?

I recently bought a Red Sea test kit that included 2 hardness tests, General and Carbonate.  I tested my aquarium (which I knew I had hard water due to scale) and the GH was 7, KH was 11.  This has to be wrong???  I am an engineer so I naturally repeated my test, same results.  I did a 10% water change with DI water and rechecked the aquarium the next day.  Now the GH is 6, KH is 9.  I am assuming one of my kits is totally bogus.  Any thoughts?