[APD] newbie lighting questions

Three questions regarding optimum light levels:

I presume that a recommendation of 2 or 4 watts per gal takes into
consideration some generally accepted distance from the light source and
the water's surface.  I realize that watts per gallon only takes into
consideration the light output measured at its source and the cubic
volume of water, but surely the distance is a significant variable.  I'm
wondering what is that normal distance and what effect does doubling or
tripling the distance have on the watts per gallon recommendations?

Does the depth of the water alter the watts per gallon recommendation?
My largest aquarium is a 29 and I've been considering adding a 40
breeder. I am not using CO2.  How would lighting requirements differ for
tanks.

Thanks,
Bill Pearson
<wpearson at adelphia_net>