[APD] Light Bulbs / Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 6, Issue 32

Tom Barr wrote:

"Several folks over the hort labs here also say
similar things
and use cool whites and they have plenty of $ for
pricey bulbs
if they worked better."

A fellow in the botany greenhouse here told me that
they use 1/2 cool white and 1/2 warm white in the
growth chambers (which are sealed and receive no other
light)

Granted these are for land plants, but I'm assuming
that if these were the improper bulbs for botanical
growth, the correct bulbs would certainly be written
into the grants.

They do use metal halide bulbs in the extended
daylight greenhouse, but those are way above the
plants.  The distances in the growth chambers are more
like those we see in aquaria (of course, without the
water, which is another issue).  They also have a
gazillion bulbs in the chambers, and don't usually
worry about algae.  So I suppose it's possible that
they just blast the plants with light and they get
enough of the right spectra.

Anyway, more food (energy) for thought.

-Laura