Re: [APD] Re: Using CO2 test Kits to Really know what's going on

Using a CO2 test to see if your pH and KH measurements are
accurate is sort of like Wittgenstein's famous example of
reading two copies of the same newspaper to see if the
headline is accurate.

As I understand the tests, they are pretty much doing the
same thing that one does by testing pH and KH and using the
table.  The titration solution changes color at a certain
pH and assumes CO2 and carbonates are the only things at
play.

Otoh, if the CO2 test kits corroborates another test
reading, then it's probably reliable. However, short of
that, I think they aren't very trustworthy, especially if
they are not new.

Even an expensive one like Hach's becomes very unreliable
with age -- just exposure to air supposedly spoils the
chems.

See, for example,

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9509/msg00150.html

Scott H.

--- Ann Viverette <annv777 at houston_rr.com> wrote:
> I have an Iron and CO2 test kit from Red Sea that is
> about 12 months old and
> no longer works. At least the CO2 part no longer works,
> it did in the
> beginning, for I checked it against the charts and they
> agreed. I don't
> recall when I used it last, it may have been not reactive
> for many months
> now.
>
> Ann Viverette
>
> > Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:04:33 +1100
> > From: Clint Brearley <clint_brearley at telstra_com>
> > Subject: [APD] So what are my CO2 levels really?
> > To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
> >
> >  <snip>
> > I thought maybe I might just get a proper CO2 test kit.
> Do these work
> okay? Or am I better off with a more accurate pH kit or
> pH probe (probably
> don't want to spend that much though).
> >
> > Anyway, the plants are happy, the fish are happy, it's
> just me who is
> stressed ;-). I'd really like to know what my CO2 levels
> ACTUALLY are!
> >
> > Clint Brearley
> > Melbourne, Australia

=====