Re: [APD] Re: planted sand substrate

I've used filter sand in small amounts along with Flourite.
The sand I used was basically quartz. I got the break down
on the contents from the producer.

The material is likely to be locally produced, or as
locally as possible because shipping costs are steep for
such heavy material. So what you can get is not necessarily
like what I can get. Pool filter sand is usually very clean
and just a very light rinse might be necessary to remove
the small amount of dust created during packaging and
handling.

Pool filter sand is often silica sand, processed from
quartz material or dug up from open pits.

If the name on the bag doesn't get you anywhere -- the name
on the stuff I used didn't help me -- this site might help
you track down the source:

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silica/

Good luck.

=====