Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:32:08 -0500
From: Jamie Johnson <Jamie_Johnson at gel.com>
Subject: [APD] Re:  planted sand substrate
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

> Reggie Bustinza <numbr_9 at hotmail_com> wrote:

> Hi, all.  I am getting some pygmy cories and some
Neo lamprologus
> multifaciatus (for different tanks).  From what I've
read, both fish
> preferred sandy substrates.  I am currently using
fluorite in both
planted
> tanks.  Is there a readily available sand type that
won't buffer the
water?
> Any help is, as always, appreciated.

Play sand from Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Put
several handfuls
in a bowl and
rinse it several times, pouring off the dirty water.
It will not alter
the water
chemistry. It will however over time, work it's way
down through the
Fluorite and if
you put enough to take that in account, it may compact
your already
open substrate.
Multis like harsh Tanganyikan water; high pH, high
mineral hardness,
high alk., which
aren't conducive to planted tanks. If you can, and you
won't be sorry,
get the Multis a
10 or 15 gallon sand, shell, and large rock cave tank.
They'll be much
happier and will
intrigue you every day which their moving, building,
and breeding
skills. They're
shelldwellers and you can't have enough shells for
them. They also mine
sand with the
passion of a compulsive disorder fish!

I had 5 fish 2 years ago, now I have at least 75! They
are all sizes
and fit in very
well with my 55G Tanganyikan community. They can hold
their own with
most medium
aggressive Tanganyikans!

Jamie <"///><