Re: [APD] Re: substate "survival" when moving

Even if he bacteria went dormant, closed up might generate
some anerobic culture and activity.

I've never tried to do this in a large tank. I have taken
the substrate from an established tank, set it aside, and
used it years later.

I would think that you could rinse the gravel to get rid of
the worst of any rot on the surface and reculture the
gravel with a little time and some fresh mulm. There must
be a member of the Boston Aquatic Society that would be
willing to part with some mulm.

Flourite costs too much to toss it. I'd keep it and try to
use it. If the bacteria all die off, you can grow new. If
another bacterium has grown, it will die off when you
return the substrate to "normal" conditions.

sh
--- RMGTBTS at aol_com wrote:
> could use a little help here please. moving from houston
> to boston. would
> like to know if the substrate from a couple of tanks was
> stored in air tight
> containers during move for between 7 to 10 days would the
> bacteria die or go
> dormant. if i keep a small portion with some water but in
> air tight container,
> would it still be valuable to seed the tanks after 7-10
> days. substrate is
> Flourite with dupla laterite added.
>
> tanks will be crated and must be empty. move is first
> week of march so
> temperatures should be cool.  i will be driving and plan
> on taking a few plants to
> bucket garden until i can set up shop so i can keep a
> couple of pounds
> submersed if thats the only way.
>
> if the advise is to trash it, it will make the flower
> beds grow good, then so
> be it but just throwing away 200lbs. of Flourite does irk
> me a bit.
>
> i had posted this question last week(vol5 issue 101) but
> never saw any
> response although a couple of people did contact me to
> see if i was close enough for
> them to get some of the substrate. i tried the archives
> but had trouble
> getting a thread on point. lots of moving, lots and lots
> of substrate comments, but
> the combo was a little tough. probably operator
> malfunction.
>
> so PLEASE pretty PLEASE sugar on it HELP :)
>
> rich green in a quiet houston ( what a great game!)

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention