[APD] RE: generalizations

Bill, I think you've rather accurately summed up what
I meant.  There are indeed a lot of ways to kill, or
not kill, the plant.

And I think you may be right, that it may be partly
semantic.  It may be that _some_ posts at the time
seem to be specific, but in the eyes of another
reader, can be a bit general.  I, and I'm assuming
others, read posts and answers from other people even
if it doesn't relate to what I'm doing, just to
increase my general (!) understanding.  If a statement
isn't very specific, it can get darn confusing and
sometimes even contradictory.  This can be especially
so when reading archives, when only part of a thread
is located.

I'm not meaning to criticize anyone's style, or single
anyone out.  My original comment was meant to be
general (hey!) as a constructive thought.  I had been
thinking about it for a little while when reading some
_sporadic_ sentances that, if I didn't know better, I
could take to mean something else than they were
intended.  Made me worry about what I might take home
when _I_ don't know better.

So, anyway, I think my original post has had it's
intended effect: just to be conscious of exactly what
we are saying so that we don't accidentally say what
we don't mean.  Especially since it's so easy to read
e-mail the wrong way.

So, thanks everyone for the discussion.  It wasn't
pointed at any one person or persons, it was just food
for thought.

-Laura

>Message: 5
>Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 06:57:49 EST
>From: Billinet at aol_com
>Subject: [APD] RE: generalizations
>To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
>Tom made a number of good points, as usual.  I agree
>with them, as
>usual,
>also.
>
>If I am reading correctly (and that is always a
>question), he and Laura
>seem
>to be saying the same thing, that broad
>generalizations aren't
>particularly
>helpful, that there are a lot of ways to skin the cat
>or kill the
>plant, and a
>generalization like "Plants need good light, a good
>substrate, and CO2"
>is of
>no use to a newbie or anyone else.

>I am starting to think that this is more a semantic
>thing than anything
>else.
...truncated...