[APD] light intensity loss with higher placed lights.

Hi everyone,
I just bought a 75 gallon, and want to try an open top type planted tank. I
am going to use two 175 watt halide lights for proper coverage, which is a
ton of light placed low, but I am looking at placing them three feet or so
above the tank so the plants can grow out of it.

I am thinking this will be sufficient light, but don't want to overdo it.
Given the height of the lights above the water, am I in the neighborhood of
proper light,or is it still overkill? General rule is one halide for every
two feet of tank length, but I'm not sure how much light intensity I'd lose
with the lights three times higher than normal over the tank.

Thanks,
Dave