[APD] Rotala rotundifolia going bushy instead of growing tall.

Weird thing happened.  After about a year my Rotala rotundifolia as suddenly
started growing sideways only instead of upward.  It used to grow tall with
few side shoots until it got close to the top of the 90gal and then it would
go sideways with lots of side growths if I let it grow that long.  But now
after one of my prunings it's seems to only want to grow sideways. All
shoots turn 90 deg, grow and try and spead out.
Haven't changed the lighting amount, it has some tallish plants beside it to
'encourage' it to grow upwards.  Only thing I can think of is after the last
pruning I planted the bunches a little more densily.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Thanks
Pete.