[APD] RE: E tenellus size difference

After reading this thread for a while, it struck me today as so blindingly obvious* that this explanation must be wrong, but here goes anyway....

Could this simply be the E tenellus version of what we see in stem plants, scraggly and leggy in poor light, and compact and dense in good light?

Not sure how to account for the propagation of the phenomenon if cuttings are moved to new sites, unless the new sites perpetuate some of the relative brightness or dimness of the originals.....

--diane brown in st. louis

*so obvious that it didn't come to me until several days after the first post.....