re: [APD] Plant filters

Andy, the polysperma is a good choice, but if you really want low maintenance, and a nitrate sponge, get some floating plants, like duckweed, salvinia, etc. Duckweed, as maligned as it is, will reproduce rapidly, eat up excess nutrients, and all you have to do is net it out when it is rampant. The caveat is that once you have it, it can be difficult to eradicate. But floaters are the way to go for nitrogen sponges. As a benefit, the discus will appreciate the lower light levels in parts of the tank.

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:22:28 +0000
From: "Andy Lavery" <wagoneer78 at hotmail_com>
Subject: [APD] Plant filters
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

G'day all!

I'm going to ask a somewhat stupid question... So bear with me...

My schedule until april, is looking mighty insane... And my 55g Discus tank
is getting somewhat neglected; which I really need to do something about.
3-4 water changes a week are almost impossible right now.

So I'm wondering, what plants could I add to help keep the
nitrates/phosphates levels to a minimum between water changes.

The tanks current setup is a 30/70 flourite/gravel substrate, 80-160w of NO
flourescent (2 40w fixtures - usually run 80w but 160 is available),
temperature is 84F, kh 80mg/L gh 160mg/L. For the time being, I'd rather
keep away from CO2 (the discus are still younger - trying to keep the water
conditions as stable as possible).

Right now I've got some hygrophilia polysperma "sunset" in there - along
with a couple crypt wendtii. Growth isn't bad; but the recent BGA outbreak
set them back a ways...

Thanks in advance,

Andy

_