[APD] Re: algae/plant competition and uptake rates

Oxygen can be very toxic for all living things. It readily breaks down to form oxygen radicals which are very unstable and damaging. To deal with this, we have two enzymes, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and peroxidase which quickly breakdown the radicals into water (via peroxide). We have these enzymes, plants have these enzymes and I expect that algae would have these enzymes also.

However, the efficiency of these enzymes can vary from species-to-species depending on environmental conditions. I know of certain bacteria that are inhibited by high dissolved oxygen levels. Perhaps this is the case for algae as well?

This could be tested by setting up a tank with light/nutrients/CO2 and no plants (perhaps plastic plants) and monitoring and controlling DOT levels by injecting pure oxygen gas. Might be an interesting experiment for anyone with the right equipment who is so inclined.

Clint Brearley
Melbourne, Australia