Re: [APD] Re: glosso and less light -- or - Sticking My Thumb in Again

As a rule of thumb, you can take the nomimal size of an
aquarium (the size the manufacturer uses to describe the
tan) and multiply by 0.8 to get the approximate actual
water volume.  Put another way, the actual volume tends to
be about 75% to 80% of the nominal size. It's only a rough
approximation but it's much clsoer than the nominal size.
Greater precision can be had, but whether the increased
precision can effectively be put to practical use is
another question ;-) I.e., it's close enough for most
aquatic purposes.

Scott H.
--- David Grim <grim1214 at bellsouth_net> wrote:
> My 240 gallon had 3.9 watts/gallon of Metal Halide
> lighting, and I had the
> worst time with algae. I originally thought the
> watts/gallon was less, but
> when I calculated the actual volume of water in the tank
> receiving light, it
> was much less (180 gallons). So my light intesity was
> much higher than I had
> thought.

=====
S. Hieber