[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 5, Issue 44

Hi Laura,

    Once again, the problem of common names... The insect in Tom's photos is
also referred to as a water scorpion or needle bug. They are a member of the
order Hemiptera, the true bugs, family Nepidae, genus Ranatra.

    They have a piercing mouth they use to feed on other insects, small
fish, tadpoles etc., and while not really dangerous, it hurts when they
bite! (guess how I know<g>) The long tube extending from the abdomen isn't a
stinger though, but a breathing tube they extend to the surface while
waiting, head down, for unsuspecting prey to come by. They have wings and
can fly, usually at night, so a tight tank cover might be in order if you
are interested in keeping them in an aquarium.

Ron Barter
Perth, Ontario