[APD] Re: Etching

Does etching occur only on Glass or does it also occur on acrylic?? Are there problems that can occur if water from condensation stays on acrylic too long? The reason why I ask is i'm thinking of going out and buying acrylic tops instead of glass tops.

Acrylic is a pretty inert material and as far as I know water doesn't cause problems for it over time with etching and such. You will have a more difficult time cleaning it since it scratches much more easily. The only problem I can see using acrylic tops is that the acrylic does absorb some water which causes it to bow which may or may not be a problem for you. Polycarbonate sheet may be a better choice since it is both more durable and if I remember correctly has a lower water absorption.

-Bill

***************************** Waveform Technology UNIX Systems Administrator