[APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 5, Issue 38

My 220W of PCF lights sit about 3" above the water
surface on my 72 gallon tank. If I take the glass off the top, there's nothing between tank & tubes but 3" of air.

1. Is this just a stupid idea (yes, I have GCFI on the outlets)

2. Will the tudbes get etched the way the top glass does?

I do this and I haven't had any issues. I used to do it at a closer distance and never noticed much of an issue on my lights - though I did have to clean my reflectors every once in a while.

It's not the *smartest* thing, since a cool splash of water could burst a hot bulb or a click could fail and drop a bulb in the water, but it's not going to screw up your bulbs, IMHO.

Chris