[APD] Re: Ammonia and soil substrates

In a message dated 1/5/2004 2:12:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com writes:
That *is* chloramine. Use "Amquel," "Prime," or "Ammo Lock 2" to treat
your water. They tie up the ammonium until your plants or biofilter can
use it. Don't use hypo (sodium thiosulfate) compounds (dechlorinators
that claim to "break the ammonium-chlorine bond").
What about a 10% or so water change? Is the ammount of ammonium released
harmful? I never notice any distress in my fish, is the ammonium difused until the
plants can utilize it?

Gerry Skau
All The World's A Stage, But The Play Is Badly Cast---Oscar Wilde