[APD] RE: Yet another good reason NOT to use so much light

Thanks for the response Tom....As always you keep me on the straight and
narrow coming back into this hobby after a 5 year break.

<<"You don't need any more than perhaps 2-2.5 watts to grow any plant
species, if someone wants to claim that a plant needs more I'd like know
which plant.">>

I do have one plant I have proven more light IS better and that is
Glossostigma.  As you know, at the beginning, I had 278w of light for my 55g
tall (24"h) and at that time, I realized (with your help) I had way too much
light with the vast improvements of reflectors vs. 1998 time frames. I did
have incredible horizontal growth, but at the sacrifice of an (almost
bloom.) After we talked, I backed off to 150w and the Glosso would not grow
horizontal as I wanted, it was more vertical.  It did GROW though, just not
to my liking.  IMHO, Glosso needs high light to grow horizontal in my
experience, PLUS large amounts of C02, pH of approx. 6.7 - 6.8, balanced
ferts and somewhat soft water.  You recommendations of ferts to me of KNO3,
etc. demonstrated lusher, greener and FASTER growth. (That's for sure!!) It
do NOT help for the horizontal aspect of this genre though.  Presently, I
have found a balance at 192w, 50% water changed per week, high CO2
concentrations while fertilizing from your advice and all is fine except of
the temp issues. I should be able to alleviate this by raising the fixture a
bit.

I've read soooo much on height tank issues vs. lumens reaching the bottom of
the substrate, and it seems in my case the 150w were NOT penetrating the
substrate to induce the horizontal natured growth I desire.  BUT, I do have
INCREDIBLE growth at 150w, just NOT as much horizontal.  I do at 196w, but
YES, at a price. It's now a temp issue.  As always Tom, your points are well
taken.  Take care,

Victor Di Cosola

Message: 7