Re: [APD] Metal Halide lights on timers

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Metal Halide lights on timers

> The "clunk" is just the relay switching on/off.
> Some relays are noisier than others.
>
> Before trying a more expensive timer (i.e., digital) he
> might want to be sure both ballasts are operating properly.
> It would be a shame to blow out $20 or $30 digital timer.
> :-\
Relay? hehe, that's the up market one. The ones we have down here a
mechanical timer with little plastic pins. These pins push a switch. I think
the reverse current induced by the disconnection of the ballast is arcing
the switch. Believe me when I say these things are badly made. I have a few.
It's a good idea to best the ballasts but I don't know of a good way do to
that.