[APD] Sagittaria subulata (and platyphylla)

Firstly, I am having trouble finding out the origin of Sagittaria subulata. Some sources show it as N. American, and some as S. American, and many more as American. I assume that it is native to both, but I'd just like to be sure.
Secondly, I understand that Sagittaria Platyphylla (given the common name Spongy leaf sag by my mail-order plant company) often refers to Sagittaria lancifolia, which again may or may not come from S. America, but is there any easy way to tell them apart (preferably that I could tell from a bad photo).
Thanks!

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.