[APD] Re: plants for OUTSIDE the aquarium

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 21:56:04 -0700
From: Roger Miller <roger at spinn_net>
Subject: Re: [APD] Plants for OUTSIDE the aquarium?
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

Roger wrote:

Hanging plants can be used around an aquarium for good effect <snip>
House plants can get fairly expensive if you do it wrong.

Two of the easiest beginner plants are hanging plants: pothos vine and various types of philodendron vine. To get around the cost, find someone who has a healthy plant at home and ask for cuttings. I have five of them going around my apartment, and when they overtake their space I just cut off the extra pieces and root them, starting another plant. Both plants are very hardy and do well in low light to fairly high (indirect) light. I have one that is over the cupboards in my kitchen in a dark corner and it grows faster than any of the others. Scheffleras are another great beginner plant. Fairly fast grower, medium to high indirect light. There are both miniature (around 3' max) and regular varieties (upwards of 8' and up).

90% of my plants are from the "TLC" or half-dead sections at greenhouses. Most of the time those plants have just not been watered or needed fresh soil. Saves me money for aquarium plants.

Laura