[APD] Re: silicone film over glass cover to prevent etching

I dont know how non toxic it is but to prevent the wrinkle issue you could use the "clear" heat shrinkable window insulating film. Silicone down the edge and then hit it with a blow dryer till its totally smooth.

The silicone is, I think, more durable and more permanent. A saran wrap cover might have to be replaced now and then if it develops holes or wrinkles a lot and reflects light. If it fused with the glass, that would be OK, as long as it stays clear. As long as the saran wrap cover keeps the water from contacting the glass, It should prevent etching. I don't think there is anything potentially toxic that could leach from saran wrap.

--
Paul Krombholz in sunny central Mississippi