Re: [APD] Open Top Aquariums

At 12:03 PM 1/10/2004, you wrote:

How much humidity does an open-topped aquarium release in terms of room comfort? I'm not sure I like the idea of turning my house into a tropical sogginess.

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

I cant give you an exact humidity increase, but in the summer time here in michigan ( i live in oakland county in and amongst the lakes - its not uncomon for the humidity outside to reach 75 or 80%+ ) my apartment turns into a tropical paradise - nearly so that of a rainforest it seems at times. About 2/3 of my tanks do not have glass covers (or are just loosely covered) and i'm working with approx 700 gallons total. In the winter - i do see a lot more evaporation BUT the added humidity actually makes for a VERY comfortable inside expierence - and i dont have to spend 40 or 50 on a good humidifier!

Having lived here my whole life in the very dry winters here i find having the open tanks a very soothing bonus, both astecially and for a comfort factor.

Maybe i should take all that $ i saved on the humidifier and actually buy a humidistat :)

Regards
Berne Kairunas
Metro Detroit Aquatic Plant Supply - www.mdaps.biz