-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com] On Behalf Of Paul Krombholz
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 8:37 AM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] Re:Deposit or Etching?

     * From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>

>So what do I do now? I think that is what has happened on my top glass.

I have had a big problem with etching and redepositing of silica on
my top covers.  I need the top covers to keep from losing CO2
rapidly.  I was thinking of putting some kind of clear acrylic or
epoxy coating on the tank covers, but John T. Fitch suggested that I
try a thin coating of silicone.  That seemed like the best idea to me
because I know that aquarium silicone is inert and does not have
anything that might be poisonous.  I have tried the silicone, and it
works well and hardly reduces the light coming through at all.  I
clean and dry the glass thoroughly,  dab on little bits of silicone,
spread them out as much as possible with my finger tips, and then
smooth the surface with a single edge razor blade.   The etching and
redepositing of silica is entirely prevented, and deposits from tank
water that splashes up on the bottom of the cover and dries out can
be cleaned off with some soap solution and a cloth.

I have had five tank covers with silicone coatings for two years now,
and no problems have developed.  The silicone does not come off, and
it can be kept clean.

--
Paul Krombholz in cool, sunny, central Mississippi