[APD] DIY Cladophora balls?

I'm interested in growing a Cladophora ball (a.k.a. "tribble"). How many
species of Cladophora can form these balls? Is there any chance the
Cladophora on my driftwood could be coerced into forming a ball?

If anyone has any ideas on how I might go about getting a ball started with
the Cladophora I have, I'd love to hear it.

While I know that DOC is a trendy topic right now, I would prefer it if
answers did not suggest starting with a hairball from a cat, as I am
allergic. :-)

Thanks,
Jim