[APD] Notes from a non tecnical user, Green Water activity

I have had my aquatic plant tanks running for a year or so now, and have
found this to be the source of information that made it possible for me to
go in that direction. But, I have stumbled onto something, that may not be
news to many, but it was a surprise to me, especially in the extent of
activity. My LFS ran out of Prime, a water conditioner made by SeaChem that
works extremely well with all of their other products, which I use almost
exclusively for my planted tanks. Without giving it much thought, I bought a
less expensive but non the less well circulated brand of conditioner to do
my partial water changes for the week. Within twenty four hours I had
beautiful green tanks, the free floating algae was thick to say the least.
After giving it some consideration, I went to another FS a bit further away
and purchased the Prime conditioner, did another partial water change the
next two days, and it all went away. I cannot give you the minute details of
what happened, but I suspect that the Less expensive brand of conditioner
had some rather undesirable chemical reactions that fed the algae and
created a huge bloom in my tanks. All I know for certain is that I do not
intend to change any of the variables to that extent any time soon, as the
response was swift and not to my liking.

Walt Wilson

My tanks are as old as I am, and thats pretty old for a tank