[APD] Notes on the notion of high K+ causing Ca++ inhibition

Hey gang,

The biggest problem (or at least among them), IMO,
with blind dosing with large amounts of K+ is that the
majority of hobbyists have no idea how much K+ is
being used by the tank each week. Test kits are
expensive , and 50% water changes may not be enough to
clear the tank of excess...

A potential problem here is obvious-- Folks are adding
K+ onto the K+ that they didn't use last week and
before long massive quantities build into the water
column. Nevermind what's in their tap water even if
it's only an additional 1-2 ppm per week which I don't
think would be unusual.

This could be an area for concern especially since
we've been told for *years* that K+ levels aren't
critical-- Shoot for 20ppm or whatever the going rate
is. I get no deficiencies from 8-10ppm weekly, and I'd
bet I could get away with less...

What is a reasonable expectation for K+ uptakes in a
week? The recommendation for high and low light
situations seem to be the same, so is it safe to
assume that light isn't a factor in K+ uptake? I
wouldn't expect so...

So, if too much K+ causes a salt toxicity which could
inhibit uptake of Ca, how much is the right amount? A
little bit? Some? A pinch?... What about those of us
who choose not to dose KH2PO4, or KNO3?

Best wishes,
John Wheeler