[APD] RE: Fe and K+

> From: "Philippe Lemaire" <ph_lemaire at CompaqNet.be>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Notes on the notion of high K+ causing Fe ??
> 	inhibition
> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> As I have 90 ppm of K+ in my tank and some problems
> with H. zosterifolia (whitish leaves or black dots or melting)...
> could it prevent Fe absorption or as I read elsewhere too much
> Fe (Total? = 1 ppm) is the same as too little ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Philippe

1ppm is not going to cause any problems with inhibition.I've had it up
around 2ppm for extended periods. Fe concentrations in aquatic soils can
be/often is very high.
High salinity can cause reduction is all nutrient uptake, not just K+ and
Fe.

90ppm of K+ is nutty.
Do a big water change.
There's no need to try and see the extreme ends when you are up at this
high of a level.
40-50ppm K+ is pretty high and certainly NOT needed for any plant.

The routine I suggest indicates that you may not need any K+ supplements
besides KNO3 except is rare cases with high fish loads, less light/few
plants etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,