[APD] RE: filter for a 75 gal

> From: "BlackHOle" <redlam1 at interconnect_net>
> Subject: [APD] Biofilter question
> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> I am new to the hobby and have a 10 gallon tank with some tiger barbs and
am learning the basics. I plan on getting a 75 or larger to start my
planted aquarium. It seems like all I do these days is read about this kind
of stuff on the net but I have another question regarding the bio filter.
If the purpose of the filter is for a place for the bacteria to live, how
do you clean the filter and how often? Also, I am sure that the filter will
have to be replaced eventually because it sure does get dirty. If I change
the filter, there goes all my bacteria and my ammonia and nitrates will
build up again and kill my fish. Nowhere have I found detailed instructions
on the proper procedure for cleaning and replacing the filter media. It is
a hang on the back power filter with a gauze/floss type filter media. Any
info would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

I'd suggest a Rena Filstar, Ehiem pro series, or a ViaAqua filter in the
250-300gph range.
These will be silent, last for a long time, go very long periods(3-6
months) without needing to clean and fairly cheap(70-80$ for the Via Aqua).

You really do not have any NH4/NO3 issues with a properly set up plant tank
though.
Plants assimilate both of these nutrients fast and you'll never measure NH4
in any well run plant tank from day one on.
We have to add NO3 routinely for plant tanks for the plants to grow well.

Regards,
Tom Barr