[APD] RE: Ammonia and Soil Substrates

Steve Pituch has discovered that chloramine is responsible for fish deaths in a tank with soil based substrate. But on Jan 2 he posted:

"As a control, I did the same water change on another tank that has a
gravel/laterite substrate and the ammonia was zero after the water change.
The fish were energized after the water change instead of distressed (dead)."

Which brings me, at least, back to this question: why did chloramine cause problems in the soil-based tank but not in the other tank?

-Rachel