Re: [APD] Re: Ammonia and Soil Substrates

Nice post, Steve. There's a lesson there for all of us.

A lot of communities still use just chlorine, but with
changes in the clean water act and other "rules" water,
more and more water suppliers are going to be switching to
chloramines -- and then more folks are going to "suddenly"
get ammonia spikes with there water changes.

Scott H.
--- Steven Pituch <spituch at ev1_net> wrote:
> After reading what Roger said, and now that I realized
> what the problem
> might be, I've done my homework on this.  I found out
> that ammonia is
> released when chloramine is broken up by dechlorinators.
> So the ammonia
> spike after the water changes I have been doing were
> caused by this.
>
> I then read more carefully the label on the dechlorinator
> I've been using
> for the past year.  Originally I had only noticed that
> the two words
> "chlorine" and "chloramine" were on the front label.  Now
> I see that the one
> phrase is actually: "Breaks the choramine bond".  Well I
> thought that was
> good, but now realize that doing so creates ammonia.
>
> On the back label it says: "To remove ammonia released
> from
> chloramine.....use (another product).
>
> Doing more reseach on the web I found products from other
> companies that
> remove chlorine, chloramines, _and_ ammonia.
>
> So one of my new years resolutions will be to read the
> labels more carefully
> on any product I will be putting in my aquariums.

=====
S. Hieber