[APD] Re: LED and fiber optics

Andrew MacLeod wrote:

> I assume, it would therefore be expensive to make a white LED, and so it
> would be better to use a large array of primarily red and blue LED's whose
> wavelengths are in the absorbtion range of photosynthesis (does
> photosynthesis occur over a wide range or a few discrete wavelengths?).
> I'm not sure if the plants would appear well 'illuminated' if you just
> used red and blue, though, because there would be no green light for you
> to see them by! (Incidentally the organic LED described would be an
> excellent all-round light source as it would produce a wide spectrum like
> an incandescent but be more efficient?)

Well then. Let's make clusters of Red, Green and Blue LED:s.

Let's also make the Red, Green and Blue LED:s independently controlled
by a micro processor to work like a single TV-pixel.

Now you have a "Tri-fosfor"-like light source where you can control the
three spikes as you whish and seemless glide through red dusk/dawn and
full sunlight. Pick the Kelvin you like.

8)

Or you could use fiber optics like the new high tech roofs which leads
sunlight
through thick fibers from outside into the ceiling in a room with no
windows -
much like a sky light would work, but you could actually be in a cellar
a hundred feet underground 8)

// Daniel.