[APD] Re: Hagen CO2 natural -- Blowing bubbles

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:59:25 -0800
> From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
> Subject: [APD] RE: Hagen CO2 natural
>               (snip)
> I'm not sure why people would say it is less effective than a DIY system,
> since that is basically all it is. Maybe because not all of the CO2 is
> absorbed - pinhead sized bubbles do escape the top of the diffusor ladder.
> It seems to do the trick for the two tanks we have here (10 and 29 gal).
>
> > -rs

I don't see why anyone should be concerned about that little bubble that is
left.

Look at the volume of the original bubble where volume varies as radius
cubed (we can ignore the constants), if the bubble was reduced to 1/4th its
original diameter so the radius is also 1/4th of the original, of course,
then 0.25^3=0.015625 and so the volume is now 1.56% of the original... or
you've had 98.5% of the CO2 absorbed. Not too shabby, IMO.

I have to think that last little bit may be some of the original air that
was in the canister when it was closed.

Ann Viverette