Re: [APD] LEDs and color temperature

Not only does mythology build fast but today's myth tends
to be tomorrow's dogma. [Which is one of the things that I
think bothered Feyerabend about conventional science as
practiced and more so, the learning of things scientific.]

Wright's is a *much* better explanation than I have ever
tried to offer. Wright has spents years and years working
on light, how it appears to humans, etc. -- not just an
avocation but a vocation.

Unfortunately, the technical precision of his explanation
goes beyond my abilities to comprehend it all. So correct
me if I don't get this right (Wright?) but I think the gist
of it is that the color temp ratings for LEDs should not be
compared to the color temp ratings that bulb manufaturers
give for fluorescent or MH bulbs. Those Flo and MH bulb
ratings are a general (and usually somewhat reliable) guide
of how bluish a bulb will appear to humans and that's about
all. If you really want to know how good a bulb probably is
for plants, check out the spectral graph, if one is
available, and see how much light is not in the mid green
area -- that rule of thumb works if your thumb is big
enough ;-)

All this periodically present talk about LEDs leads me to
ask this: Has anyone illuminated their tank entirely and
solely with LEDs?  I don't mean nightlights/moonlights; I
mean as the main/sole source of light energy for their
plants? I'd like to hear about that lamp, energy
efficiency, light dispersion, spectral output, etc.

Scott H.

=====
S. Hieber