Re: [APD] Ammona and Soil Substrates

Steven -

I have multiple tanks with soil substrates, and have never seen ammonia
come up during a water change.

An alternate possibility is ammonia release due to acidification. One time
I was foolishly lowering my pH with acid and went too fast. I quickly got
measurable levels of ammonia, as if out of nowhere. I have to assume that
the acid somehow released nitrogen that was embedded safely into other
compounds, converting it into ammonia.

Back to your problem: have you measured the pH of your tap water? It may be
much more acidic than your tank water. Maybe it has large amounts of CO2
added to prevent scale buildup in the Laguna Madre causeway?

- Jim