[APD] apd question

Bob, I have hard water also. Very hard, I think their target ph is 9. it took me forever to get plants started. Some of them sat for 3-4 months before they started growing. Some things never grew. Algea did just great though. I think some plants acclimated over time but maybe I am naive. it's easy to start a second tank with the already thriving plants but the first one is a real test of patience. I have a theory that a lot of current helps prohibit the stuff from growing. My water pump just died on me and I have little bits of it starting up. just let the plants fill it up and they will succeed in the end. it just takes a while and it's ugly in the mean time.

"Message: 3
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:11:40 -0600
From: "Bob Crosby" <rtcrosby at charter_net>
Subject: [APD] Question
To: "'aquatic plants digest'" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

My daughter has a 29 gallon tank with 55 watt compact fluorescent
lighting, with the lights on 8 hours per day. Our water is quite hard
(220 ppm+) and alkaline (8.4+). The gravel has been supplemented with
laterite. We're using Seachem PhosGuard to reduce phosphates.

The only plant that seems to thrive thus far is Java fern, except for
the green algae that coats the glass, plants and creates a mulm over the
gravel. We can literally harvest the stuff from the gravel and rub it
off the leaves of the plants.

My question is twofold: 1.) what would anyone suggest to reduce (ideally
eliminate) the algae, and 2.) what plants would anyone recommend in this
relatively low light environment besides perhaps the obvious Anubias or
Val spp.?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob"