[APD] Question

My daughter has a 29 gallon tank with 55 watt compact fluorescent
lighting, with the lights on 8 hours per day. Our water is quite hard
(220 ppm+) and alkaline (8.4+). The gravel has been supplemented with
laterite. We're using Seachem PhosGuard to reduce phosphates.

The only plant that seems to thrive thus far is Java fern, except for
the green algae that coats the glass, plants and creates a mulm over the
gravel. We can literally harvest the stuff from the gravel and rub it
off the leaves of the plants.

My question is twofold: 1.) what would anyone suggest to reduce (ideally
eliminate) the algae, and 2.) what plants would anyone recommend in this
relatively low light environment besides perhaps the obvious Anubias or
Val spp.?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob