[APD] RE: agar

> From: "Arturo Giacosa" <agiacosa at msn_com>
> Subject: [APD] RE: Agar
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> Folks,
>
> I have not used agar to roll up DIY substrate tabs.  However, I have used
> agar extensively in tissue culture.
>
> My comment comes directly from Dr. Kane at the University of Florida that
> has more experience with agar than any of us on this list.  Use it at
your
> own risk.
>
> Regards,
>
> Art

Thomas Kane is a personal friend of mine as is one of his students.
I know what I am talking about.
I've talked to him and others about this, we raise a mutant type of water
sprite for a Botany lab on genetics(Better and less of an escapee than the
damn Fruit flies).

Contamination is a common prolem with Tissue culture.
This is not tissue culture.
It is slow diffusion of nutrients(which slow down with time due to
bacterial films on the pieces of DIY nutrient cubes).
But still, it's a good idea, gelatin also works and is likely a
better/cheaper sub.
I have not tried it with that material.

Regards,
Tom Barr