[APD] Re: some stupid (perfectly good) questions and A comment onwater changes

Airwreck wrote:

>> when talking about the water column are you meaning the water in the tank??<<

"Karen Randall"
Yes.

"S. Hieber"
Yes. we just sound so much more technical when we say
"water column" instead of "tank water". Continuing to be
technical, it also includes the water in any externa
gadgets, the wtaer in which comes from and flows back into
the aquarium, such as filters, CO2 reactors, UV lamps, etc.

Ok I understand what you are saying... and I deducted that it was the water in the system.. but I think that the use of extremely technical voc. is sometimes over done. IMHO.. Not everybody who read this information is always going to follow the lexicon of a small group of insiders. it would be much more beneficial to lurkers.

>> Second one is when you refer to it vegetative reproduction are you meaning cuttings or divisions or is there something that I know how clue about?? <<

"Karen Randall"
Both are forms of vegetative reproduction.  Sexual reproduction is via seeds
or spores.

"S. Hieber" Reproduction without growing from seed. This can be from a parent planting splitting off a new plantelet (Echinodoruses do this quite easily) or by sending out runners (Vals love to do this and cryptocorynes too).

Again IMHO. This is another case of using lexicon that is only for the insiders.. Yes I know that Vegetative reproduction is not from seeds..I just was trying to figure out if there was some thing special.. If as a lay person someone asks me how I got more of a certain plant ..my response would not be Vegetative reproduction.. it would be exactly how I did it.. either by division or cutting..or even grafting(which I doubt is done).

>> another one in my stupid questions is a recently I've been looking at AGA tank competition and I was wondering how old these tanks are? Or they created just for the show? <<

There are some of each. As a judge, all else being equal, (which, in reality, they rarely are) I will give the nod to the long-term tank. Sometimes you will find an entry that includes photos over a period of time. Otherwise, you can tell the long-term tanks that have been entered more than one year, because it will state that fact in the text of the entry, so you can go back and see the tank the year before. Again, I tend to favor tanks that are recognizable from one year to the next, even though there will alos obviously have been changes over that length of time.

"S. Hieber"
You can tell from some of the pics that some of them or
some of the plants have just been put into the tanks. Some
tanks are designed just for the show and aren't intended as
ongoing endeavors -- some of them would be real pitas to
maintain. Some are just well designed, well kept tanks. All
of them are enjoyable to view.

YES I will agree that the tanks are extremely enjoyable to view. but :-) IMHO ( seems to be used a lot) this does not make a level playing field..more of who has the deepest pockets..or who has the best resources for plants maybe there needs to be a way to separate design from skill... I will not deign that many of the entries have great design skills in layout..but does this make them skilled technicians in the art of growing a plant???
As to knowing which is a long term tank compared to a short term tank..I went back thru the 200L - 400L entires and if my tiny little brain can remember exactly I think I only saw 2 that even mentioned how long the system had been set up..maybe I am just missing something..

>> the last comment I would have is related to water changes. The folks who are proclaiming large water changes using tap water straight from the line in their house are barking up a very dangerous tree the reason being is that you have no idea what you're water department has been adding to that water. Case in point is my situation, during the dry season here and I made a large water changed just as you are advocating to do using tap water to my chagrin within 5 minutes of the water change all my fish died from poisoning. this was caused by water authority adding more chemicals to purify water because the reservoir was extremely low and water was in short supply it seemed that water authority had adding extra chemicals to the water to remove biological pathogens. I do not disagree with making a large water changes it's just that one needs to be careful.<<

You are absolutely right that you need to pay attention when doing water changes of any size. You can kill your fish with smaller water changes too, under some circumstances. I would suggest that unless you KNOW FOR SURE that your water does not contain chlorine or worse, chloramine, (for instance if your water comes from a private well) you use a chlorinating/dechloraminating substance prophylactically. We don't often have much of any chlorine, and no cloramine in out tap water, but I still give a squeeze (isn't that scientific ;-) of Novaqua anyway, if I'm doing a water change of any size. If you have chloramine in your tap water, I believe you need to use Amquel.

Karen

I do add Prophylactics to the water as a preventative a "JUST IN CASE" attitude but in this one example it didn't work..and would not have worked even if I had added the whole kitchen sink..

The water dept. has to tell you, if you ask, what they put
in the water and they must report periodically on the level
of a number of specifics chemicals, as dictated by EPA.

Cal or write or email them or look for a web site with the Water Quality Report for you yur water supply.

Scott H.

ROFL... sorry.. but you live in a world far different than mine... I don't mean to be flippant.. but living in a 3rd world country they don't even know what's in the water... It took me a week of calling all over just to find out the pH of the water coming out of the tap..to verify my readings since they were so alkaline.. now to ask them what's they add.. shite.. they don't have a clue or if someone does then it will take a month to find them.. and then we have to deal with agriculture run off.. and who know what seepage happens... What I think what is missing here is that this digest is read all over the world.. and so the newbie will see something like just add tap water when making water changes..and everything dies. Something I had to learn the hard way.. being an ex-pat.

Don't get me wrong..I have gained a ton of information from reading this digest.. and will keep reading.. and learning

Thanks all I will now return to my lurking..

Have a wonderful New Year...

Airwreck