[APD] Soil Substrates

josh bjork wrote:

>> I've got a soil substrate based tank that is a year or a year and a half
old.  It's 50gal and I used maybe a coffee can full of soil under poultry
grit.  It had a very nice growth spurt when the roots hit the soil.   The
growth has curbed significantly.  I have a medium fish load and give it
potassium occassionally.

My smaller 20 gallon soil tank with 1 algae eater looks fabulous with no
care at all.  The tank has been running with no circulation for 6 months or
so.  What causes this fizz?  I would think the tank with fish would have
much more growth than one with an unfed algea eater.<<

You have just illustrated the problem.  Soil substrates are inherently
unpredictable.

Karen