Re: [APD] LED Lighting

You'd need a hood full of them, probably, but so what, if
they are cheap enough?  But there's the rub. They aren't
cheap enough for a hood full.  And with that many, plus the
wiring needed, without mass production it would hardly be
worthwhile -- unless the super brights become much much
cheaper. The biggest I've seen are about 13,000 mcd. That's
bright enough for street lights but not for glosso.

Still, they make nice nightlights. Aqua Medic used to sell
a two led night for about $90. YOu can make one for about
$10. That's DIY that makes sense. Replacing PCs or T5s with
LEDs?  Still in the curiosity corner of the lighting shop,
I think.

Scott H.
--- Jim Miller <jim at jtmiller_com> wrote:
> no...the resistors would not be redundant. and for
> lighting a tank with leds
> at other than "moonlight" levels a switchmode current
> source would be
> preferred which definitely means a transistor(s).
>
> i wonder how practical this actually is however since the
> leds i'm aware of
> are a few milliwatts output. even at 50mw that's 20
> required per watt. so
> for 20 watts you'd need 400 leds.
>
> seems pricey...
>
> good luck