[APD] Magic Tap Water

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:46:18 -0000, Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

I know this is a repost of myself, but somebody asked a similar question, and since it was Christmas I figured people had better things to be doing. Basically I would like to know how we can assess a water supplier report in terms of a planted tank. The optimum levels in the estimated index are NO3 of 5-10ppm, PO4 of 0.4-1ppm, K+ of 20-30ppm, Fe of 0.5ppm+ (correct me where I'm wrong) but what would be ideal 'magic' tap water? In other words, if we have less than a certain amount of a nutrient then we need to add at water changes, and also what about traces in tap water. I only have 1.5mg/l of K+, does this mean I need lots of K+ rather than lots of NO3, since I have over 5 ppm of that already (20-30 ppm of K+ and 0.5ppm of Fe sounds a lot for a water supply to contain at-the-tap, not that I know anything about it, so this would be common for water supplies to 'lack'?)

So what would "Magic Tap Water" be then, in terms of nutrient levels? I just got a report from my water authority about my tap water, and I know:
NO3 ~6mg/l, PO4 ~0.7 mg/l, Fe ~.011 mg/l, SO4 37 mg/l, K only 1.5 mg/l, Mn ~0.002 mg/l, pH of 7.895, hardness 46 mg/l as Ca (41.5 of Ca, 4 of Mg), alkalinity 41 mg/l (not saying what as), and 2 mg/l of Damn Oderous Cat, with only chlorine, not chloramine. I was just wondering, out of ten, how close to Magic Tap Water my water is.

One other thing, I know this question has been asked time and time and time before, but I still can't find the answer. There are plently of sites saying how to convert from mg/l to degrees hardness, but they neglect to say which degrees of hardness, and mg/l as what. We are using German degrees, aren't we?