[APD] Newbie here

Hello all! I am very interested in starting a planted tank sometime in the near future and have been spending most of my free time reading about keeping planted tanks. I currently have a betta in a 2 gallon and a school of tiger barbs in a 10 gallon, neither of which has any live plants. I intend to buy a 55 gallon or larger tank for live plants and more fish. I have a question about substrate. I was wondering if using flourite as the substrate would work as well as a laterite/gravel mix? It seems to me that it would be much easier for me to have just one type of substrate and i would not have to worry about disturbing the laterite when i move plants or vacuum the tank. Would this work?

Thanks,

Kevin Simms