[APD] Re: RE: water changes = ich?

>>Ich?
Heck....name the last time your fish had Ich? I honestly couldn't tell you.
It been decades though.
So if the fish are stressed, why are they not getting it ich? Why are they
breeding?<<

Well aren't you fortunate! I havn't had ICH in several years either.

This is from the KRIB:

"Probably 80-90% of diseases in captive fish can be prevented by avoiding
stress. Stress weakens fishes' immune systems, leading to increased
susceptibility to disease. Actually, diseases and pathogens are almost
always present in tanks, but a healthy fish's immune
system will prevent them from being a problem. Some of the most common
stressors for captive fish are:

Poor water quality: measurable ammonia or nitrites, or very high nitrates.

>>The water temperature is fluctuating more than 2 deg F/day <<

Incompatible species in the tank.
Too many fish in the tank (5 adult angelfish in 10g tank).
The tank is too small for the fish (foot long fish in 10g tank).
The water is too warm or too cold for the species (goldfish vs. tropicals).
wrong pH for species (Discus vs. African cichlids)

>>pH fluctuations greater than 0.2 units/day. <<

Insufficient cover or hiding places present.
Wrong water hardness for the species (Discus vs. African cichlids).
Insufficient oxygen in the water.
Improper fish nutrition (wrong food, foods not varied).
------------------------
Although ICH will die if it does not find a host, it is now thought it can
also lie dormant on fish as a carrier, and even on plants and substrates.
Here is one reference to this fact:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/whitespot.htm

"Ich is most often brought into the tank or pond on new fish or plants (not
if they are quarantined!).  However, it is also believed that some survivors
of an Ich infection can become latent carriers, with the parasites forming a
latent stage at protected sites such as the base of fins or the gills.
Subsequent stress or poor conditions can awaken white spot to re-infect
either its host or other fish. This certainly seems to be the case with koi,
when often small numbers of trophonts are often found alongside severe
fluke, Trichodina  or Costia infestations, even in ponds which have not had
any new introductions."

So if ICH is present and dormant on the fish or in the tank, it is not far
fetched that a large water change that may change the temp or pH or stress
the fish would weaken the fish defense system. I am done now defending
myself, call me a lunatic all you want!

Robert Paul Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com