[APD] Re: Re: Large water changes

>>Anyway, generalizations are dangerous (and we all are probably guilty
of them from time to time).  I think the success or failure of large
water changes (or use of tap water in general) boils down to the
quality of the water supply.  Some folks might indeed have trouble
with their tap water, and that's why I think it's a good idea for
everyone to *know* their source water.<<

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. ICH is quite often ,
if not always present in any water, in any aquarium. All it takes is a shock
to the fish to bring it out. I recently sold some otos to a customer that I
had in a well established tank for over three months.  He reported they
showed signs of ICH within the first week. It was either the shock of
transport, or his enviornment that triggered it, since they were ICH free
for three months in my possetion. And my remaining stock is still ICH free.

Radical temp change, particularly a drop in temp will trigger Cryp melt. I
have had cryps melt when a heater failed, and just two weeks ago I changed
50% of the water in one of my all Cryp tanks, and over a dozen wendtii
plants melted.

>>I quit using heaters in my tanks when I quit keeping them in my
parents' basement where ambient temp could drop below 60F, and I
never heat my change water...just let it come up to room temp.
Temperatures regularly swing several degrees F in my tanks, and I've
never had a fish die or get sick because of it.<<

Its not the sustained temp that is a problem. I have kept Cryps in cool
temps and High temps. Its adding cold water to a warm tank that will stress
both fish and plants.

>>I was doing large water changes (up to
90%) as frequently as every 3 days on my fish tanks even before I
started growing plants, and it has never caused any problems...<<

Well I have heard people doing all sorts of strange things, so nothing
surprises me any more.

>> I think the success or failure of large
water changes (or use of tap water in general) boils down to the
quality of the water supply.  <<

I think it boils down more to responsible tank management instead of looking
for a safety net. If what you were saying was true, newbies would not have
to worry about over stocking their tank with fish. "Oh I can put 50 fish in
my ten gallon aquarium because I change 50 or 90% of the water every week"
People are always looking for shortcuts. If you have patience, and do
everything with moderation, then you are much more likely to have a long
term well balanced aquarium with minimal problems.

Best regards

Robert Paul Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com