[APD] RE: what will happen then?

Tom Barr said in part
>Finding out where the plants are from is easy enough, most books tell you
>where. Sexual reproduction is seldom done since most are easy to grow
>vegetatively. I've raised a few different species of Aponogeton,
>Cryptocoryne, swords, (I'm forgetting a few others I'm sure) by sexual
>propogation.It takes more work in most cases to raise the seeds. I've told
>many a story about going out to collect:)

Hmmmm. I agree to a point. I just love finding out about new species and the minutiae of taxonomy and life cycles and habitats. I guess I'm only speaking to the Australian experience but aquatic plants are sadly neglected especially when I consider the many outstanding books and info on native dirt plants and even native fishes. I love your collecting stories BTW. I wish I had had the funds and time to fly over to the states for your recent conference and collecting trips.

The thing is looking at old archives this list it often provides the only English language reference to certain rare species on the net. These days you'd be lucky to find one post a month with a plant's name in the subject heading. I always bristle when I read statements like "You don't need to know the scientific name of a plant to enjoy growing it" for me this untrue. Oh well I guess that's my own silly obsessions.

Yeah aquascaping is certainly the way of the future although I see myself as more of a biotope man rather than the beautiful, manicured formal gardens in miniature. I admire them but (just my opinion) I often find them a little soulless while technically extraordinary.

Biotope info is another area on the net which is often poorly covered or plain wrong. If anyone needs biotope info for their rainbows I'm in the slow but rewarding process of putting together a database of Australian true aquatic plants and can probably help out.