From: "David Terrell" <dave at terrellclan_com>
To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 12:43 AM
Subject: [APD] Vortex HELP!

Tonight my wife and I decided to do Xmas, I knew what I was getting, and so
did she.  Pretty boring, but we knew what we wanted and got it for each
other.  So, Xmas Saturday night so I could play with my new toy over the
weekend, a new Vorted Diatom filter.  I got everything put together, diatom
charged and everything...first run was, well, scary.  Despite reading the
instructions quite carefully after charging the bag and letting the clamp on
the exhaust pipe go a whole cloud of diatom powder went into the aquarium.
Fine, I read the book, it said that was no harm to the fish and eventually
would just get charged back in the filter.  Cool!  It's working!

Uh, lots of air going down the intake, there's a leak...alright, they didn't
glue it enough?  So I sqeeze the intake a bit to check that and the air
stops, tubes aren't really snug, not a big deal I get a nylon tie and clamp
that on there, problem solved.

Uh, it's starting to smell?  WHOA, the pump is too hot to touch!  :-(  I
look into the jar and it's perfectly clear, water is coming out the exhaust
pipe pretty well, and the thing is humming along...so I guess the motor
might get a little hot...

Uh, it shut off!  DOH, what happened to my new toy?  I figured maybe the
WHOLE bag of diatom powder that ships with the unit (despite the
instructions) isn't supposed to go in there, so I take the whole setup into
the kitchen where I proceed to make a large mess trying to get it to flush,
which I did eventually.  Now I've got it running with no diatom powder,
thinking there was so much in there it cloged it up.  Motor is still getting
hot, warmish, but I can touch it without burning myself...back to the book,
it says 3 cups for the XL model (which I have) so I put in 3 cups into the
bucket I'm working in.  The water clears quickly and it's humming away, I'm
happy.  So I grab the whole setup, put the tubes into a pitcher and bring it
over to my tank.  Set everything up and run it in the pitcher again like the
instructions say so for recharging, this takes care of the cloud...now the
pitcher is clear, cool.  I take the pitcher out and watch as my tank REALLY
begins to clear before my eyes, I can see deeper and deeper in by
millimeters..centimeters...

Uh, it shut off again!  Wow, the motor is REALLY hot again, I can't touch
it.  So, here it stands, the Vortex is on my tank right now, cooling off.
I'm glad it has this auto shut-down feature probably to avoid fire, but why
is it getting so hot?  I read the book again for the fifth time or so.  Yea,
oil the pump every 3 months or so, on the pump it says anually but whatever
you do, "DO NOT OVER OIL!"

SO!  After my long story, what the hell should I do?  Are the motors
supposed to get _that_ hot (no way!)?  Are they shipped without oil?  What
if it has oil and I over oil?  It seems to me there's just no oil in there,
but I'm not about to oil the thing after about 10 minutes use and have
something go wrong...perhaps over oiling by 3 drops isn't a big deal?

I hope someone has an answer, my wife gets all upset when she buys me
something I'm all excited about and it doesn't work as I expected.  I'm a
little upset, but I figure it's something that can be solved with just _3_
drops of oil.

Thanks guys,

-Dave